Friday, June 13, 2014

Sentinelles at Melbourne Quilt & Craft Fair

It has been a frustrating week without the internet so in the end  I have bought one of those USB sticks- unfortunately they have data limits , but yay I have internet.

The  Sentinelle project will be shown at The Melbourne  Craft & Quilt Fair on  June 26-29  2014. I will be there some of the time but also have a commitment to CrossXPollination which has been in the planning for a year as well.It looks as if it will go to other venues in Australia as well.

I have thought long and hard about asking this as the project started out as a fun thing and I thought it would not take off in the way that it has. But everywhere they have been seen they have raised a "wow" level , beyond  what I was expecting and so the word has gone out that they should be seen in more and more and more places. Judy Newman from Expertise recently contacted me after opening the suitcase containing all the sentinelles-with a wow- these should be seen in other Australian venues. I am happy for this to happen as I am sure most participants will be, but it brings with it the fact there are costs involved. I do try and cover the costs by negotiating with venues as best as I can- but it costs to cross oceans( and they will be shown in france later this year and early 2015). I take them as luggage as I feel that is more secure than post and well it takes space away from my own work as well. There is things like signage( which I will formalise now that other venues are involved), pins for hanging all sorts of incidental costs like tape for adhering signage. I will set up a dedicated Facebook page or blog ( not decided which yet) for all the ladies. So i ask that participants  help contribute to the costs of moving this exhibition around and that it is displayed in the best way possible. Therefore I would be  so grateful to those in the exhibition if you could contribute $20 AUS or 15 Euros ( outside of Australia) towards the ongoing touring of this exhibition.Please let me know if you can.


This was the "Sentinelle" spread that appeared int eh most recent Les Nouvelles Patchwork et creation textiles. I only have a digital copy at present. Please let me know if it is yours and I will  make sure I add your names into this post!

I must admit I am missing all things french already- like this....Australia your cheese is ridiculously expensive!

On my  last day in France I visited Verdun in order to  contemplate a moment of remembering, all those that lost their lives and to hope and send thoughts to the universe to stop carnages of human life ( sometimes this feels like a prayer in vain) I came upon a delightful little Museum devoted to the Romanesque and medieval.The patina of colour on this  Madonna is just delightful and so much brighter than you might anticipate- she dates form the  fourteenth century.

I have been doing a little stitching for my work for Crossing Oceans a touring exhibition curated by Jane Rollason- my theme will be olive trees.I have used the olive tree linocut I made whilst in france and have printed hand dyed fabric and also  printed one which I have appliqued.It is progressing slower than I had hoped as my mother lives in  the half dark in the evening and does not like lights brighter than a candle flame ( or so it seems- or maybe  I am developing sympathy with medieval women)- it's the backdrop for the vase of poppies.

And then there are poppies. Last week when my daughter and I  were out and about in Fitzroy so I could buy some more lino and she some more paper we couldn't resist these poppies.

And  a big thrill - the cover and back of Les Nouvelles Patchwork et Creation textiles- the magazine of France Patchwork with an article about my work and also a how to article. I love that it is one of my favourite subjects at the moment- poppies!The ones on the right I photographed on my last day in France


3 comments:

Lyn Weeks said...

You are very inspirational Dijanne.

Fiona wright said...

Fabulous Dijanne

Monique 78 said...

I was so pleased for you when I sawyour work everywhere in this issue of "les Nouvelles"